View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Welcome to NeuroTalk.

I am an artist too, with alot of experience with printmaking.
I am not doing it "now" but I did a major of it in art school.

I wonder what kind of printing you do? Silkscreen?
Xylol, which is used in some inks is very hard on the nervous system, and oil based print inks as well have solvents which over time you inhale during clean up.

Over time you can develop a peripheral nerve damage from exposure to the various solvents.

Many of the inks contain heavy metals, and these too, you may become toxic from. Cadmium, lead etc.

Just a thought.
A good thought, too! I do use oil based inks, but stay away from cadmiums, cobalts, also I think chromium green not good. I'll check msds on the presence of Xylol - thanks for that. I use vegetable oil to clean up inks off of tools, and isopropyl alcohol to clean up oil. Sometimes I use SoySolve on glass inking plate and acrylic monotype plates. I tried some collagraphs, but the wiping of the plate was too much for me at the time.(I don't hand wipe, use telephone book pages). I have done some photocopy transfer prints of drawings, sometimes combined with acetate stencils, and I like that process. It doesn't take me too long. I went to art school a million yrs ago, painting major w/a couple of prntmking classes, then more prntmking later on. Good to hear from you.
maxbe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote