View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I have a good question about Vitamin D

Because Alan was found to be deficient the doctor gave him a prescription for a once a week dose of 50,000. Once a week!!!!

Now if one goes in the sun for 5 minutes, I hear you get 100,000 international units. Now I understand because used to NEVER go in the sun, why this man would be deficient. He now gets up early and I have to poke and prod him but I get him outside for 5 minutes (sometimes 20, if we are doing a wash), He sits outside and soaks up the sun.

So here's my question. If you can get 100,000 from 5 minutes, well, I'm in the sun doing my walks many times a day. What the heck am I getting? a million international units??

And now for the really good question. Why didn't the doctor simply say "Alan, I want you in the sun for 10 minutes a day" Adding it up, that's 200,000 a day versus 50,000 once a week.

Maybe it's the fact that the 50,000 comes in a pill??

I was sitting outside the other day for 5 or so minutes soaking up the sun and I was saying "if they give people a pill containing 50,000 international units, why on earth don't the doctors say "go outside and get some sun"

thanks much if you can clarify this for me.

I understand the whole malabsorbtion thing. It means that his body was never absorbing any Vitamin D (because he never went outside).

So why give pills when the answer is the SUN??

Melody

And I just read your previous posts on various sorts of D. D3, D2. I'm still learning

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote