View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 01:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
paula - surely you've heard a similar quote in the education business, "Those who don't like kids should get out of the teaching business."

Bob and Rick - I agree that profit drives big pharma, but this statement in that article has me questioning its validity: "And companies aren’t required to inform the agency about impending shortages unless the drugs don't have an alternative."

I tend to think these shortages have to do with patents running out of time and the set-up for generics sales. Let's say Comtan, for example. It is about to run into its patent limits, because they hold 7 years patent time (I think that's right). So we might start seeing doctors more often prescribing the combination drug of Comtan and Sinemet, which is Stalevo. That means the Comtan company gets with Sinemet folks to say there's a shortage (but hopefully not in this case - just using it as an example, but who knows?)

Do you catch my drift? It's all about marketing and sales. I try to see through some of this pharma hype to know when it's for real or if it's marketing strategies..

Am I wrong, or just as clear as mud?
Peg

Sorry about those lazy fingers that stick to keys and make it appear that I am stuttering! You can't edit titles or subtitles!
Yes - my pharmacist explained to me that the drugs are manufactured every (he said 5 or so) several years - also that drugs are now distributed globally. Sometimes there are raw material shortages.

md

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
~ Nikola Tesla
moondaughter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote