View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Regarding the comment

<...post concussion syndrome is really just a head injury which causes a bursting of a membrane inside the inner ear, namely the oval window or round window....which then causes the vestibular system to malfunction giving one a host of strange symptoms related to the peripheral and autonomic nervous systems manfunctioning and also vestibular sensory disturbance. doctor's just call things a syndrome when they can't figure it out..>

Some people with PCS may have this injury but it is by far not the main cause of persistent PCS. Diffuse Axonal Injury is the main culprit. There are small tears or strains to many of the billions of axons that connect the neurons. This causes poor communication between brain cells and even cellular death.

A common symptom of PCS is the delayed onset. This is due to the inflammation and cellular death that takes days to weeks to happen. The brain does not like misperforming axons and neurons. It sends out signals for the injured axons and neurons to shut down. This takes time. There is also a cascade of chemical processes that becomes improper. Glutamate is the most common misbehaving substance from my reading of the research.

Yes, there are many who have vestibular problems that can be treated. Many have posted to this forum. But, vestibular treatment/therapy does not correct all of the array of PCS symptoms.

I wish it did.

My best to all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mollymum (06-18-2012)