View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
No one knows every answer when type II diabetes is involved.

If your cortisol levels rise for any reason, your sugars will too.
(emotions or illness or stress). Viral and/or bacterial infections raise sugars in some people.

However, there is a general consensus that with time the pancreas burns out and cannot make insulin properly during the whole day. If this is the case for you, no matter what you eat, your sugars will go up, because the liver continues to metabolize protein to sugar when it gets "the call" that the cells are suffering elsewhere in the body.
Understood. So my stupidity in becoming obese in the first place, guided me to the place I am today. Fighting this with all that is in me. (oh, if we only could go back in time and talk to ourselves and say "Finding another coping medicine, other than ding dongs")

I am going to take an a1c test. That will tell me LOTS. I'll post the results here.

Oh, I was reading a very interesting article in a newspaper today about Diabetes. It explained about the liver, etc. etc. Then it explained the various meds.

This is a paragraph from the article (taken from Hamaspik Gazette)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Medications
With most Type 2 Diabetes patients, oral or injected medications are prescribed as well. Some diabetes medications stimulate your pancreas to produce and release more insulin. Others inhibit the production and release of glucose from your liver which means you need less insulin to transport sugar into your cells. Still others block the action of stomach enzymes that break down carbohydrates or make your tissues more sensitive to insulin
------------------------------------------------------------------------
So if my liver is doing liver dumping, might I consider the pill that inhibits the production and release of glucose from my liver??

I have no idea which oral med does this?

Hey, it's a shot. Do you have any idea which oral med does this? I know there is metformin, glyburide, glipizide, januvia, and others. Metformin kept me in the bathroom all morning when I was on it, and that was over 15 years ago and I took it for 10 years. But the thing that worked the best for me was the Lantus.

It prevents spikes.

I neglected to indicate why I don't want to go back on Lantus. It's not because I'm afraid of injections, or anything like that. I could do this in my sleep.

It's the cost. My co-pay is $84.00 for three vials of Lantus. That will probably go up starting in January. That's 3 months supply. Each vial is 100 units of the Lantus. I was taking 8 and then 5. It doesn't matter if I took 8 or 80, the co-pay is the same. So I'm trying to find a replacement (in pill form, if possible), that just might work. Big difference in co-pay.

Hey, I'm 63, I'm no spring chicken, but I've taken care of the rest of my body, I'd like to fight this diabetes thing with everything I have.

I'm not going down without a fight.

lol

Thanks, Mrs. D
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote