View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrow View Post
Does anybody have experience with surgery for multi-level disc hernations in the cervical spine? What did you have done and how did it go? I have degenerative disc disease, disc bulging, disc-space narrowing, anterior/posterior osteophyte formation at all levels of the cervical spine. Symptoms are the usual tingling in face, back of neck, scalp, arms, hands and torso. Also possible tingling inside the mouth tied to irritation of the trigeminal nerve complex.

I have surgical consults coming up and would love any insights or guidance.

Dbrow
I had cervical stenosis and had decompression, laminectomies done from C-7 to C-2 during my extended journey to Dx of PD. It was done by a neurosurgeon and an orthopedist. I had such excrutiating post op pain that I looked like a stroke victim - shuffling, not moving my arms, couldn't hold up my neck, etc - after a week of this uncontrolable pain, I was referred to psych evaluation. I didn't have the wherewithal to demand an MRI. Three months later an MRI was done and found to have what they called a "bruise" on my cord - interpretation - a bleed. It took me a full year to recover and never did get back to my baseline. Two years later, I had herniation of C-4-5 which was fused without problems.

I did have stenosis, but my symptoms of pain, stiffness, numbess and foot dragging was really due to PD . Did I have unnecessary surgery - maybe, but one cannot be for sure on that. Was I misdiagnosed by my symptoms - Yes.

MY advise is get a second opinion, maybe even a 3rd opinion, find the best Neurosurgeon ( I had the same one as Teddy Kennedy had for debulking his brain tumor) stop all NSAIDS and ASA per your doctors advise at least 2 weeks before surgery and make certin your symptoms are not steming from something else. Good Luck
Tulip G
tulip girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote