View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Listen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanttobesurfing View Post
Craig,

I understand what you are saying completely. I injured myself snowboarding 1.5 years ago. I too am an avid hockey player. I have not yet fully recovered from my concussion. I am a passionate hockey player and haven't played for the past year and a half. I won't play at all this winter again. I have decided I won't play again until 100% fully healed and maybe even then I won't.

I'm not as young as you (39) but love hockey. Read this carefully "you should not play again until you are 100% better". Have you noticed what's going on in the NHL right now - go look at the injury list of different teams - PCS is dominating. You are nuts to go and play contact hockey let alone non-contact until you are 100% recovered.

I am also a surfer and snowboarder. I have snowboarded a little but just with my kids at relatively slow speeds. I've surfed a bit in conditions where I'm in complete control. I don't want to be a hypocrite as there is some risk with those things but I feel it is not high - unlike hockey.

You must make that decision re: hockey. It is not worth it. When you do recover you need to play non-contact only.

Try to find other things - I work out at the gym, weights, run and am pretty fit. It sucks compared to hockey but it's something. For the first year I was nauseated every single day all day so I understand. As I write this I'm having a bad day and am light headed and nauseated. I am keeping hope one day it will go away - it's not as bad as it was and you need to look at things on a longer horizon - easy to say but hard to do.

I'm not recovered yet and just deal with feeling like crap often during workouts. You have to maintain your self-esteem.

If you want to chat more send me a private message. I completely understand how you feel.
Listen this guy is right...I had 7 or 8 concussions in a year and each time I thought I was almost better so I did just a little something and some weird thing happened and I got hit again for example swing dancing I was dipped and another girl nearby was also dipped and kicked me in the head...not fun!
I have found that anything that raises my blood pressure causes a headache I have not found a good cause for the nausea, dizziness, and clouded thought. Medications don't really work except for large doses of advil which I don't dare to take daily. In January it will be one year since my last concussion and in February it will be two years since my first concussion.

The first one was caused by me falling off of a horse and hitting my head on the frozen ground...I am told that I blacked out for about 5 seconds. I don't remember the horse though I do remember mounting him (I had been riding him for an hour or so). I fell off at about 3:30pm and don't remember any of the happenings of that night until about midnight. During that time I went to the hospital, had a CT scan, went to dinner, my classmates had fun telling me stories about how I fell because I would forget about every five minutes and ask all over again what was wrong with me. All of this I have been told and don't remember. Two weeks later I was sitting at a picnic table studying and someone kicked a volleyball from about 40 feet away and hit me in the head.

3 months later someone knocked heads with me while I was laying down and they fell trying to catch a ball. Three months later I was dancing and was kicked. Two months later I was dancing and was dropped. Two months later I was almost all better and went sledding, I went over a few big bumps that jostled my head just enough to make me sick for the next five months. Two days later I leaned my chair against the wall and it slipped out from under me and I hit my head on a metal heater that stuck out from the wall and then hit my had on the back of the chair...I still have a lump in my skull. That was January 2010.
I have not hit my head since...I am starting to work out a little, because I am tired of being out of shape from lack of activity. But every time I almost fall down from dizziness or feel so nauseated that I almost have to leave. I always have a spitting headache for the next 24 hours and then I do it again...
Such is my life...Such is so many of ours...Hopefully medicine will find an answer...SOON!

Last thing. I have been to eight doctors. One was a neurologist. I had 2 CT's and two MRI's of my head and neck. No one knows what is wrong...the neuro gave me some meds that take away the pain but make me so nauseated that they are only worth it if the pain is so bad that it is causing nausea anyways.

The moral of the story is don't hit your head again....I am only at 21months not years...but DON'T HIT YOUR HEAD and DON'T HIT IT MORE THAN ONCE!

Good luck to all!
Margarite
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BeccaP (11-06-2010)