View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Knee Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsen View Post
I had hip replacement and found water exercise invaluable. Once I was able to get into a pool, i began an exercise program which i practice to this day, 14 yrs later. It keeps me as mobile as I can be given the llimits experienced because of problems with the surgery. the best advice is to delay, delay, delay until you can no longer. madelyn
I am facing the same situation. Degerative knee followed by a fall led to arthroscopy surgery last December. The surgery was unsuccessful. I was told there was more ligament damage than the MRI revealed, and that a total knee was inevitable. It has been difficult rehabing the knee as I am unable to run or cycle without significant pain.

For the past ten months I have tried to strengthen the quadriceps thigh muscle in anticipation of the total knee surgery. The orthopedist's father had Parkinson's Disease and underwent a total Knee replacment surgery. He related that the outcome of the surgery was less than desired because they started rehab with weakened muscles around the knee, He advised me to wait as long as possiblle before considering the procedure. We have managed the condition with Syn Visc joint injections every4-6 months, NSAIDs,
exercise,and massage. I think the orthopedist gave me good sound advice based on his father's experience. If you are going to undergo the surgery have as strong musces as possible. I am a semi retired foot/ankle surgeon and am in no hurry to return to the operating room..

I believe the single most important factor in longevity is maintaining mobility. When we rely on scooters, wheelchairs, and other equipment to move our bodies, furher weakness eventually leads to additional falls,

Good Luck

Gary
@chilles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jeanb (11-02-2010)