View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Medication for a headache (or other treatments)

I don't know what the deal is, but I have a headache nearly every single day. I don't know if it is related to any of the (more than 10) health conditions I have, or if I just have chronic headaches. I also get migraines, but that is not what I am asking about. These are just regular headaches.

I have these headaches that are just bad enough that I can't ignore them... but not bad enough to be considered a migraine.

I only have one good kidney (the less is less than 15% functioning), so I have been told by my PCP and my kidney doctor that I should not take things like ibuprofen, aleve, motrin, or aspirin. Tylenol is the only thing they have said that I can take. The only thing that gets rid of my headaches are extra strength tylenol (brand name only, not generic) or Excedrin products (specifically excedrin mirgraine which I do use for migraines--but it is essentially tylenol and caffeine--there may be one other ingredient).

I know that taking any kind of medication every single day is not good for the body, especially liver and kidneys. I'd like to find some other way to treat or minimize my headaches besides medications. But I am wondering if anyone has any idea of any medicine that may be less harsh on kidneys.

As far as I know, there isn't any other option out there--but since I am bedridden, it has been a long time since I've gone to the store to check it out.

I have a call in to my doctor, so I am waiting to hear if there is anything he can recommend... but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask here.

These headaches are just powerful enough to knock me out and keep me from doing the things I'd like to. I can't just lay here all day useless when this happens 95% of my days.

Please let me know if you know of anything that I may be able to take (I know that my doctor's advice is best and I am not looking for a medical opinion--just ideas from what others have taken) or other solutions to ease a headache without taking medicines. I keep my room dark since the sun hurts my head... and try to keep it cool and quiet. I don't know how else to ease my headaches.

Thanks for reading.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote