View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Carlos,

Welcome to Neuro Talk. Your English is fine. Better than some mTBI people who know English as their mother tongue.

That is a good sign. You bi-lingual skills shows your brain is functioning well. But, this does not mean your brain can handle another impact. You are healed enough to not have to worry about Second Impact Syndrome (can be lethal) but Multiple Impact Syndrome will be a real risk for the rest of your life.

You would be wise to sit down with those who are close to you and discuss your future. Do you have responsibility over/for others? i.e. A wife and family, etc. You have residual injuries to your brain. They will show up when you are under stress. Your family and others need to know this.

You need to make the hard decision about contact sports. Soccer can be very dangerous. Heading the ball is a know risk for head injury. Head to head collisions during an attempt to head the ball can be very dangerous. But, it is a decision you need to make. Nobody can decide for you. The risks are real.

I am assuming soccer is one of your favorites. I played on a high school soccer team with immigrants from Portugal. We/they were the best in the state.

Many risks can be managed with some simple modifications of how you participate in the sport. Good helmets are a must but will not protect your injured brain as well as needed.

So, go ahead and live your life but take precautions to prevent any more head impacts. You have experienced serious symptoms of head injury. You do not want them back in a permanent way. Living with memory or other cognitive struggles can make for a miserable life sometimes. Find the new activities that do not put your brain at risk and enjoy your life.

A second CT would not be any help. There are not any 'experts' that can help you at this point. A neuro-psychological assessment will show if you have any residual symptoms. If you find you are struggling at work, etc. a neuro-psych assessment would be worthwhile. It can help you understand your limitations so you can devise ways to work-around those limitations.

Be aware than you may have some personality changes. Understanding them can help you respond to others, especially in stressful situations.

So, just be good to your brain. Keep it safe but enjoy your life.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote