View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 01:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you all for your responses to my question.

I have been trying to do some heel slides, leg/heel extensions before bed, and believe it or not, that does seem to help. But,other times they do persist.

Jo55- I am actually supplementing quite a bit with magnesium (and calcium), as I understand that to be helpful with bones, and high blood pressure (which has become a problem since RSD came on).

Thanks for posting that info/ the links. They were helpful, and gave me some more understanding.

I also doing some epsom salt baths, which, if I understand correctly aid in giving calcium to your body.

Hyperosmolar Therapy

Hyperosmolar therapy refers to the fact that some chemicals such as magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) reduce the neuroinflammation, swelling, as well as flexor spasm of the small joints. This is achieved by the patient taking an Epsom salt bath in the bathtub or taking Milk of Magnesia, no more than 1-2 ounces a day. The magnesium being a calcium channel blocker as well as a very strong osmotic chemical extracts the calcium and facilitates the inflow of calcium through the skin. This form of treatment is very effective to counteract the neuroinflammatory edema of CRPS, as well as relieving the pain.

(Dr Hooshmand, http://www.rsdrx.com/pt%20_and%20_crps%20-part%20II.htm )

Mike- I am using narcotics to help in pain relief. I am also on Neurontin, Amitriptyline, Lidocaine patches... I wasn't implying that I don't use medication, I was just asking for suggestions on muscle spasms, other than medications. I don't think I could manage with out at least some form of pain relief... RSD pain is so wicked!

What you posted was rather interesting. I haven't been on narcotics long term though, so I don't know if some of that would really apply to me. I am glad your combination seems to be helping you.

BroadwayBaby- Thanks for the sock suggestion. I would try that, if I *felt* cold... the thing is, inside I feel like I am BURNING up, while on the outside (to someone else) my skin tempature is actually freezing COLD.

It's like this- the other night the tempatures were around 15 degrees and I was so hot and felt like I was burning, and yes, I really did walk outside without my coat for a minute. Everyone thought I was crazy, but I was so hot!
InHisHands is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote