View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Lightbulb I 'second' what Jackie is saying....

I remember this happened to Mark as well.....the 'switcheroo'.....
He was led to believe he was getting the ANS, but at the last minute they informed him he was getting a Boston Scientific.
He's very happy with his unit, no doubt, so it all ended up well and fine.

I find it rather confusing tho that they would do the trial thru one vendor and the permanent with another whole different company. Makes for uncertainty, and IMO not fair to the patient..... and in fact it's the health insurance company who is paying for the unit, so they may have some say in this I'm not sure. This is certainly something I'd want to get clarity on.
#1) I would respectfully ask your doctor why he is doing it this way
#2) I would make sure nothing kooky happens as far as where your insurance company's coverage is concerned.....you wouldn't want something slipping thru the cracks or get caught in a loophole because of this not being made clear.......Make sure it's all in 'writing'.....

The literature you shared does indeed sound impressive.....especially the part about the battery not being susceptible to damage due to over-discharging.
This way you wouldn't have to worry about forgetting to keep charged.
I have Medtronics and so far am very happy with it....but it does emphasize to make sure to NOT let the battery run all the way down.....or it could prove to be fatal to the life of the unit.

Some of the literature does sound 'beefed up', as Jackie put it.....
Simply staggering the leads by a microfraction allows the coverage to suffice in 'sculpting the electric field'....and this is pretty standard procedure as far as I know....but it would be a good question to ask your surgeon....

I live in a rural community and so I didn't have a choice - my doctor's vendor is Medtronics and that was that.
All Reps, no matter which company are supposed to be available via phone and email, so if you don't like calling, you'd do well with the email.

It's good that you are doing this research, Sarah.....this is indeed a huge decision. To be honest, I would be a bit 'put off' by the fact that he did the trial with an entirely different company than what he intends to do the permanent. Both companies are very reputable, so there shouldn't be a problem per se, it's just that......you did the trial with Medtronics and for all we know the Boston Sci's coverage and stimulation might be a completely different feel for you. I don't understand why they do this.....but it happened to Mark too and yet he's very happy with his Boston Sci.

Try not to let this stress you out....but you do deserve a good explanation.

I'm just so very thrilled for you that the trial went so well. Either way, it appears your life is going to get a wonderful change for the better. You so desperately deserve this!

You bring up such an important point. Thank you for this thread!

I'm anxious to hear what your Dr has to say regarding the 2 differing companies. Please keep us posted!
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (11-04-2010)