View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabb View Post
it would seem that to have the "low" that is causing the dumping of glucose from the liver....you would have had to have a "high" that caused more insulin to be released which over shot the desired levels....this would explain why the Lantus works, ie preventing that high from occurring. Now, how do you propose to prevent that high from occurring? you mentioned crackers, I think, as part of your evening snack? perhaps you dont need those carbs at that hour? I remember reading, years ago, that a brittle diabetic is likely to have food allergies interferring with control.....perhaps an elimination diet would help? Perhaps a rigorous low refined carbs and low carbs in general?
good luck.....by the way, Ha1c has just been dropped to <5.7 being normal.
Hi, trust me, I have eliminated everything from my diet that needs to be eliminated. Took me 2 years to do this. And about the Lantus. I tried no crackers before bed. I tried eating a bit before bed. I tried not eating anything before bed. After going off the Lantus, my morning sugar went up and after a while my afternoon sugar reading went up. I then decided to do the a1c and got the 7.8.

I did a lot of research over the past 6 weeks. I looked at if I should go on an oral pill. Then I read that orals burn out your beta cells. Got a bit scared at that because I haven't been on anything oral in over 6 years.

So after conferring with the people at Cornell, I decided to take a shot of Lantus last night. Only 8 units. For the past 5 weeks every morning it was 180 to 198 (sometimes 200)

So this morning it was 158.

Tonight will be 24 hours since the shot last night.

I shall then see what happens.

I read where taking insulin gives the pancreas a rest.

Hey, I'm 63, my diet is NO REFINED CARBS WHATSOEVER, and only complex carbs and extremely healthy eating AND I MEAN EXTREMELY.

I can do this. Been doing this for 2 years. It's no problem for me. I don't miss anything. I enjoy the sprouts and the protein and I'm fine with the diet.

I don't want to have to eat anything at bed time.

I have honestly tried various ways to have a good fasting blood sugar in the a.m.

In my case, I think it's best that I am back on the Lantus. Cost and all, it's what I need to do for my body IN THE LONG RUN.

So I made a decision. I gave myself a birthday present.

I hope that by continuing to have better control of my blood sugar, that my next a1c will show just that.

One can only try.

Everything else is good in my body. Good numbers, I'm thinner, I achieved certain goals.

My next goal is to weigh 145 lbs.

I'll never hit that goal.

Maybe when I'm 80???? lol lol lol

Yeah, that and learning how to hula hoop. Never mastered that one either.

But I believe we can do whatever we want to do, we just have to try.

lol

Melody

P.S. Way to go on your a1c. Good number

pps. I also just read where there was a 20 year study that says no person's a1c should be below 7. Can you believe that?

They think 7 is perfectly normal.

I thought 5 was normal, but I read where a diabetic should not try to get too low an a1c, (something to do with blood vessels) And I was in the Accord program and they had to cancel the intensive part of it because people's a1c dropped to below 6 and some people died.

I then read that these people were older people who were diabetic A LONG TIME, and were severely overweight. Honestly, one can never truly believe everything you read when you read about studies and determinations.

We have to know our own bodies. They really do talk to us.

Mine says "today Melody is going out for Japanese food on her birthday"

That food NEVER raises my blood sugar.

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote