View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

You'll notice from that link... that doctors and even pharmacists are not really informed well about stability issues! I find that appalling.

Even with all that detail, you'll notice "real answers" are not really explicit on that link from the companies.

Here is a little trivia factoid:

When Humulin came out... remember that? There was much hoohaa about it being stable at room temp!
Well some reps from Lilly were telling pharmacies they didn't have to refrigerate it anymore. One major hospital I used to temp at kept it on the shelf... and I was horrified!
I even mentioned it to them.

Eventually they started putting it in the frig...but for all those months it wasn't stored in the frig at all.

Now at the nursing home place, they only refrigerated in "transit" (which takes up to one 24 hr day), HumaLOG and Lantus and Levemir etc. All the other insulins went without a cooler. Some transit time is allowed for the regular ones.

But on that link I gave you I was shocked to see the comment that NPH had only a 7 day active rate. I have NEVER seen that anywhere before! True few people use the NPH anymore, but STILL 7 days! I wonder if that is "new" or a misprint?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote