View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Well, I wonder how accurate that Accord program's data is now?

This quote is from the link above in this thread!
Well, I just might ask them when I go into the Accordian part of the Accord trial. It's schedule to start sometime in 2011.

I didn't have a problem. I was lucky. When I first started the Accord program, I was on 2000 metformin, was still obese and actually went into it because the meds were free and I would get ekgs, exams, etc. So to me, it was a no brainer.

I really didn't change my eating habits way back then. Not that I ate everything in front of me, but I didn't eat the way I do now.

They kept me on the 2000 metformin, but gave me Lantus. I started at 10 (which I gather they start everyone at), and every time I went (once a month), they would increase the Lantus. I actually got up to 47 of the Lantus and I was still on the 2000 of the Metformin.

But the Metformin was killing my stomach so I went off of that. And then I went to a nutritionist with Alan, learned how to eat correctly and began to lose weight. Not a lot because I had no metabolism to speak of. That's when I asked the doctors "I eat like a champ, how come I don't lose weight"?

And THAT's when I learned that people on insulin have a much tougher time losing weight than people NOT ON INSULIN. I asked why and I was told "Because it's a hormone and it stores in the fat cells"

I then said: 'Now why didn't anyone tell me this earlier" and the answer I got was

"If we told all women that there is a chance they might gain weight or not lose weight they would NEVER take their insulin"

And they were right, because women are vain creatures.

Why I was able to lose weight, well I have no idea, but little by little and we are talking 5 years of eating well and two years of eating WELL!!! Well, I managed to get down to the small amount of Lantus.

I really believe that the reason I was able to lose more weight towards the end is that I was only on a small amount of Lantus. For the past year I was on 20, then 15, then 10, then 8 , then one day at 5.

Not like being on 47. But I do remember YEARS ago, when they gave me Metformin, I couldn't lose anything. But now that I think back, I really didn't give myself the opportunity of good eating.

Big difference now. Really big difference.

I probably eat the Mediterranean diet (olive oil, no dairy, etc.) haven't eaten any red meat for years, but I now eat Buffalo maybe once a week.

So in my case all this paid off. I have many friends who would NEVER eat like I do. They say I eat like a rabbit with all my sprouts and fish, and such.

I mean we laugh about it. I say "Oh yeah, well, I'm doing this to save my life".

Hey, we have to try!!!!

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (11-06-2010)