Thread: Wheat again
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 04:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default elimination diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You know, I am reminded of the Nightshade veggies.

There is a toxin in potatoes (and less so in other nightshades) called Solanine.

This toxin accumulates (as I have read some places) in the body over time, and affects the nervous system among other things. So one may not have it at one point, and if the solanine accumulates to a "certain" level, then symptoms may occur.

I had a hard to pin down burning neuropathy in my legs which was very puzzling. And when I did an elimination for nightshades...the burning stopped. If I stay away from potatoes in any form, the burning is almost non-existant. Eat potatoes and that night and the next couple the burning will return. Some tomato sauces will also trigger me, but others not. Concentrated types tend to be the culprits.

So there can be other foods that can be problematic in neuro diseases, I suspect. It only took me 60 yrs to find my connection to the Nightshades!
The elimination diet is recommended by the author of Minding My Mitochondria...best to find out what makes things worse, so that once you remove them, you can better see what helps. Worked for her, she had MS.

Also, I have found that by reducing wheat and other starches, but mainly wheat products, I am less bloaty and clearer in my thinking (just not clear enough to solve this PD puzzle, though!). Could just be the additional veggies I am substituting in, but I wonder.

Last edited by lurkingforacure; 11-06-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: more to say!
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote