View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Hydrocephalus-shunt infection (Newbie)

Hi there, my name is Carrie and I am a 21 year old from Australia. I am so happy I found this forum, I no longer feel that I am alone in all of this.

I have had hydrocephalus since birth and had my first VP shunt inserted a few days later. I had my first shunt until I was almost 16 with only 1 complication (a blockage that resolved itself). Since that shunt revision at almost 16, where they put a programmable shunt in I have had alot of problems, I had Slit Ventricle Syndrome for 6 years, then when they found the right shunt, with the help of a Slow Flow catheter, I got an infection.

I have been out of hospital for a few days after spending 2 weeks in there for the infection. I spent the first week on an EVD (external drain) and then received a new shunt.

I am hoping to talk to anyone who has suffered from any of the issues in this post, especially Shunt Infections, as I have never met or spoken to anyone that has had a shunt infection, and I have alot of questions, such as recovery time and if it is normal to feel under the weather even after leaving the hospital clear of infection.
gizzy_gal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote