View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 10:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Mirapex/Requip Side effects and PD symptoms

Hey—Thank you so much, BEMM, for sharing your experience. It's so helpful to hear from someone else with their own lightshow. We seem to be in a minority.

Often it does come in elaborate grid and line patterns. Still many nights/early mornings for me, it is also more of a plain area, or simple area or shape of flashing light. The shape and intensity of light varies, as does the speed of the flash. (Some nights so fast, it’s more like a strobe light). The lights are always white. It seems to wake me, or perhaps I just wake and see it. It’s always in the dark at night or early morning upon my waking. It doesn’t happen to me if I fall asleep during the day.

Perhaps it is a PD symptom, if it is a drug side effect, it certainly varies from night to night. I’d expect a side effect to remain more constant, but I don’t know. The timing of it occurring for me, was when the dose was raised to the 1 mg. 3 x a day. I don't see reference to this symptom in the usual PD descriptions I've found.

I too have trouble tolerating noises. I did have this after my brain surgery in 2005 (clipping for a left middle cerebral artery aneurysm), for a few months. It came back on the Mirapex, and I have assumed it was that.

Perhaps PD could also contribute to my feeling of being irritated by too much sound or noise? We’re talking about our brains, I suppose many things are possible, and would vary greatly between individuals.
I’ll keep in mind, that it is possible my light show is from my PD, and be sure to talk about that possibility with my doctors.

Perhaps others will come forward now, if they are having a symptom of flashing lights, (at night in the dark) when awake, and eyes are open, regardless of what drugs treatments are being used. I’d be very interested in knowing.

I wish you well and will keep in mind the treatment plan that has helped you. Another reference to the Amantadine also. Good to hear your tolerance of Requip. I was under the impression it was harder to take than Mirapex. Must depend on the person. I can say the Mirapex has enabled me to walk and climb stairs easier, move my arm a bit better, most of the time my tremor is gone (when it shows up now it is quite bad though which surprises me. I don't know if I am progressing, or if the drug use can provoke a stronger tremor)?

Best to you.
Pollywog

P.S. : —) thanks for asking, fine arts and illustration work, I love detail work. Pencil, pen and ink, and monotypes mostly. Monotypes are prints, with just one print pulled from a metal plate I paint on with oils. I lay damp paper over that and run it through a small etching press. (Some work, some don’t!) Often I do nature studies, landscapes.

BEMM, I thought you also might like to see what I found a few weeks ago.

These people are on Requip, for Restless Legs Syndrome, not PD.
(I found no reference however, to any lights w/people taking Mirapex).

http://www.askapatient.com

The symptoms people experience on meds vary so and seem to include nearly everything, sometimes opposite things (such as my inability to eat much on Mirapex, and others finding it an appetite stimulant).
Yet, this ‘light show’ is such an odd, distinctive, and intrusive symptom. You’d think we would hear more reference to it, whatever the cause.

At this site, people may rate the prescription drugs they are taking, or just look at the site. I didn't have to sign in. Three people with RLS on Requip wrote in, mentioning lights as a side effect, one didn’t sound the same as mine, they described seeing the lights with their eyes closed. The other two sounded as if they could be the same type of light images.

It is hard to know how each person might describe their experiences. For me, (and it sounds like you as well, if I am understanding correctly) the lights are seen only when my eyes are open and I am awake.

The people in the first and second quotes below, mention a light show and their eyes sound as if they’re open. One mentions flashing white lights...”seeing flashing lights, as if a police car with white lights is parked outside my windows.” The other speaks of “weird light patterns and sounds, almost like I’m hallucinating.” after their dose was raised from 3 to 5 mg.

That sounds like it may be the same...(I suppose it is possible someone with RLS, may have PD and not know yet also. I understand there may be a correlation, possibly).

Quotes taken from the (Askapatient Drug Database): 3 different people:

restless legs
I had no side effects building up to 1mg. However when I tried to stay at that dose, the nausea was too much. Also having some vision issues, seeing flashing lights, as if a police car with white lights is parked outside my windows. Not sure if the side effects are worth it.

RLS
I've been on Requip for a couple months now. Although helpful at lower doses, I was still not able to sleep through the night and was taking Tylenol PM also. My doctor jumped me from 3 mg to 5 mg and that's when the negative symptoms started, mainly the nausea (resulting in vomiting), weird light patterns and sounds, almost like I'm hallucinating. I think I will ask to reduce my dosage to 4 mg and see if these side effects subside.

---------------------------------------------------

RLS
Significant increase in RLS symptoms in the evening or even during the daytime if I'm tired. Weight gain. Flashing "lights" when eyes closed at night. Sometimes get tired during the day and can fall asleep.
Helps a lot at night - I'm sleeping much better than before. However, it takes at least 2 hours to kick in - in the meantime I get some pretty strong symptoms in the evening. I got used to the weird light show and am definitely dreaming a lot - actually like that. A definite improvement at night, but significant drawbacks during the day. I was wondering where all that weight came from - but reading this page tells me that it's a common side effect.
Polliwog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote