View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Possible Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizures???

Hopeing that someone can give me some insight here, because I'm pretty much at my wits end...

My fiance was diagnosed as an epileptic at 11 years old, he experienced absense serizures. He is currently 34 years old and is still experiencing problems. Every day (now up to twice a day) he has episodes on "spacing out" These last anywhere from 10-45 minutes, usually lasting 30 minutes at a time. During the episodes he is able to respond, but responses don't always make sense (for example, while watching a football game and experiencing a space out, he responds "everyone" when asked who is winning) His eyelids droop, his head rolls to one side, his speech becomes slow and slurred. People that are not aware of his condition assume he is exteremy innebriated. After his space out is complete, it seems like a switch was flipped and he is bag to normal in an instant. He usually has no recollection of anything that happened while he was spaced out. He is currently on Tegretol, Kepra, and an anti depressant twice a day. (Not sure of the dosages off the top of my head, but he's pretty much maxed on the teg and kepra) No other medical problems. His doctor is unsure that his episides are epilepsy related (I brought a video of his space outs for our last appointment.) He is not working now, because his doctor thinks that the space outs are stress related and psychogenic. We have an ambulatory EEG scheduled for next Monday. A video EEG is not available in our area, so I will take it upon myself to video tape the process to share with his doctor.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing something similar? What were your outcomes? I am stressed beyond my means right now. We can no longer do things as a couple because of the space outs, we are resigned to staying home. Our relationship has definitely taken a toll. He is frustrated because he doesn't know what is going on, I am frustrated because I feel like I 'lose' him for good parts of our day.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

Cassie
Cblair1230 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote