View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb here is the chemical pathways...

http://www.genome.jp/kegg/pathway/map/map00251.html

Glucosamine is at the top of the chart.

Here is another way of looking at glutathione:
http://web.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking...ml#glutathione

Also on this second chart is the serotonin pathway, by chance.

Being sleepy while taking SAMe is not typical. But at 200mg that is not a
very high dose either. I used to use 600mg/day, and am now down to 400mg
a day for my arthritis. If I go lower, I flare.

I am also doing light therapy to minimize melatonin secretion during the dark times of this winter. I have a thread on page 1 of Peripheral neuropathy about the success of this, in reducing my sleeping problems (hypersomnia), and the depression that sneaked up on me. I don't blame the SAMe for this, since I have been using it since 1999 with no sedative effects.
I do think if you are low in B6 you will not convert well to serotonin either.
Some people cannot convert pyridoxine B6 in vitamins to P5P...so if you think you are failing with B6, then trying P5P may help. SAMe is only a methyl donor...it has certain metabolic effects by donating methyl groups to various places in the body. There has always been a suggestion to take a quality B-complex with it, to enhance its effects. If you are low in light, your melatonin system may be in overdrive like mine seemed to be. I took my hints from the fact that in summer, I feel fine. It was this winter particularly because of some shift work, that I seemed to bottom out.

Lois--- it seems that oranges are the worst for me. I can do some lemon, some lime and some grapefruit. I always overdue oranges in season each winter.. and when I stopped them last year at this time, my knees finally stopped the flare they were in. I really miss them too! sigh. I took my clues from Dr. Kittley's book-- Obesity's answer..which we discussed on OBT last spring. Whatever you CRAVE she suggests -- you do an elimination for.
Onions were another that surprised me.
www.obesitysanswer.com

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote