View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If my doctor tried to charge me for samples, I would report him to the Medical Association. The doctor does not pay for those samples, and even is often given "incentives" to make them available in his office. This is quite an ethical breach.

I would find a new doc and report this one.

As for Part D and the donut hole, it acts as sort of a delayed deductible, in that medicare pays for your drugs (with you having a co-pay) until you and they have spent a certain sum, around $2800, and then you must pay all costs until you have paid about $,500 out of your own pocket. After that Medicare once again pays for your drugs.

IMO the Part D donut hole is a cruel trick for most seniors who take expensive drugs for memory problems, cholesterol and heart issues. I think it is sad that seniors have to choose between rent, heat, food, and making drug companies rich.

I personally have begun to ration and change my drugs to avoid the donut hole. My most expensive drug is Pentasa, which runs about $750 a month if I take it full strength, putting me in the donut hole before summer begins. I have actually told my gastroenterologist I plan to wean myself off of it, because it is one of those they can't tell if it really helps or not! On top of that, many people with my medical issues do not take it at all and get by quite nicely. It is also one that the drug company keeps "tweaking" the formula on so that they can get the patent renewed, and keep jacking the price up . . . or I could get it in generic form, as it has been around for a long time.