View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 05:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=Grace's Dad;712177]Hello Folks:

Dear Grace's Dad,

Ah to see your child struggle and be in pain is one of the hardest things a parent must endure. My heart goes out to you...

I am teacher who also has PCS from a fall back in March 2010. I am not teaching and will not return this year. I have taught high school and have 3 children in college, so I am very much aware of the class load, the social interactions, extra-curricular and the energy needed to live fully at your daughter's age.

Your darlin' has been injured and all the above is now being lived on a different playing field. One that feels and is like slow motion compared to the rest of her friends at school. Needless to say, school work can and will be a challenge with the "fatigue, temper outbursts, mood swings, low frustration threshold, inability to control impulses, dizziness, impaired balance, etc."
The concentration needed to be in school and interact with others can bring on the worst of headaches and fatigue. I know.

I would recommend that your daughter have a neuropsyche test to determine her impairments. This would need to be ordered through a neurologist. I had one and it clarified my needs and subsequent treatment.
I was referred to a speech and language pathologist who has me doing a computer program at home that specifically addresses my impairments.
And I will be seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist at the end of the month.
I state all this because your daughter needs to be evaluated.

Regarding school, it is important that you speak with her guidance counselor or special education director to let them be aware of your daughter's condition. Accommodations can be made for her regarding receiving breaks, more time for testing, etc. She might be entitled to be put on a 504plan or IEP and if I remember correctly medical evidence is needed.

I do hope this helps as you advocate for your daughter. This forum has been a great resource for me and many others as they journey through this world with an injured brain. Please know that we all hold your daughter, you and your family in our hearts. For we have been held here, when we first arrived.

Peace
Grady Lady
Grady Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (11-26-2010)