View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Laugh Well HOTdog, Doghot!! :)

I was hoping you'd start a thread of your own!

If you are getting the procedure I got, yes, it is pretty simple cut and dry (no pun intended )
Yes, I was in and out within 3 hours. My Dr did a dual lead percutaneous lumbar implant.....key word >>> percutaneous, meaning the leads were simply placed under the skin via fluoroscopy (like an x-ray). The leads are anchored into the fascia (meaty part) of the dorsal column.

I'm assuming your electrode leads will be placed down low in your spine to get coverage in your feet. ?
The SCS has very good success rates for neuropathic burning pain.

The only drawback to the simple percutaneous lead placement is, it has a much higher risk of lead migration, so we have to be pretty careful not to do anything that would tear the leads from the anchors.

The stories you are reading that talk in terms of hospital stays are the ones that are getting their SCS units implanted via 'Laminectomy' lead placement.
This requires a neurosurgeon to do this. A small piece of bone is removed from the spine to insert the paddle leads.

It sounds like your doctor is confident in your health assessment and moving right along with this.
SCS used to be considered one of the last in line in terms of treatment options, but as of late, these units are becomming rather common place.
Some physicians are actually being a bit too pushy with this option because of the huge financial kickback they recieve.....This leaves the patient feeling very skeptical about what's going on.

Do you feel as though you are being pushed into this a bit too quickly, or are you comfortable with what your doctor is wanting to do. ?
If you have a good relationship with your Dr AND you are familiar with the representatives from the company your SCS is manufactured under, then this is all the better

Your trial on Monday will tell you aLOT!! I'm excited for you!
You will no doubt be in a bit of pain from the procedure for a day or two, so try to realize that for what it is (needle in the back and small incision)....
Mainly just do your best to focus on whether or not you are getting stimulation down to your feet and whether or not it covers over that horrible burning pain.....

Looking forward to hearing how you come along!
It's so good to have you!

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hurting (07-20-2011), Sophie_ (07-24-2011)