View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 10:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Mel,
My ten year old grandson Joey goes for IVIG once a month, he is an AML leukemia survivor. I can remember his first infusion was awful, they had to stop it b/c he had such a severe reaction. Found out it was all in the "flow", he has to have it real slow and he preps before they go now with benadryl and ativan. The first time they had it here at home(Montana) when they came home from Childrens in Seattle my daughter went "wicked" on them. They had no idea that Joey needed it too be very slow and my daughter Amber stepped in and did all the IV settings for them and taught them all they needed to know. Theses days, Joey is ten now, mom drops him off and goes shopping, etc. and Joe knows how to set it and just kicks back with his game boy or watches a movie, and yes snoozes because of the benadryl, ativan cocktail. He has chronic GVHD from his second bone marrow transplant and it attacks his digestive tract and eyes, IVIG keeps him from suffering that pain and I think it is the neatest thing that science has come up with. Many kids died from GVHD before IVIG came along.
I think it is so worth the shot to get the immune system in order and I hope it works so well that he will be "Driving Miss Mel" around Long Island in no time. I can't imagine no car, out here in the wide open spaces there is no transit system, it means driving to do almost everything.
Hugs-Janna
jannaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote