View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Allergy nightmare

I have never had problems in my life with allergies until I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I was 28 weeks along and I had a burrito with Mango Salsa. After 5 or 6 bites I started having this feeling like something was stuck in my throat. Then I started having "chest pain". I began to worry, and then when I looked in the mirror, I realized my face was swollen and the palms of my hands itched incredibly... Then I started having contractions. I ended up in the ER that night with multiple doses of terbutaline. I didnt know what the problem was since a burrito and salsa have tons of ingredients.

A few months later, I was cutting a mango for my daughter and I had not eaten since the day before. I took a bite, and same thing. I decided to get allergy tested to find out what it was. I live in the sonoran desert and after skin testing, I found out I'm allergic to just about half of everything that grows here, and especially cats. I got blood testing done for food as well and everything came out negative. a few months after I drank a mango flavored energy drink and had another reaction. I have never had a problem with Mango's before. I've eaten loads of them. I will never eat another mango.

This was over a year ago. Last night I ate a piece of rye bread... and my throat started to itch and my sinuses instantly plugged. I figured it was just environmental allergies acting up so I did a sinus rinse and used some afrin. Nothing helped. Then my mouth started feeling weird so I looked in the mirror and half of my top lip started to bubble up, like I had been hit in the face. I took a few benadryl and some pepcid and felt better in a couple of hours.. but I want to know WTF???? Is this even possible? I'm 32 and have never had food allergies in my life. Is it possible that something changed when I was pregnant?
dbrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote