View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 01:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieS View Post
I was just wondering, anyone heard of Stiff Person Syndrome? I was admitted to hospital yesterday for some tests, and the dr think it's more likely to be SPS rather than PLS. There's no difference in both, except that my insurance pays for the latter, not the former. Both have no cure, but my symptoms don't really sound like SPS, since the spasms are supposed to be painful. Mine's painless, and it just vibrates in a clonus-like spasm. I may be posting this in the wrong place, but juz wanted to see if anyone can help since lots of u are better than the neuros I've seen so far.

The dr seems to want to start me on ivig treatments which supposedly r better for SPS. However it's expensive and I'm not so sure that I really have SPS. Since there seems to b no definite test for both, I don't know what to do at this point. There's supposedly no cure for both too. The last time I asked my dr before he admitted me, he said PLS shouldn't happen to ppl my age, but from what I read, SPS supposedly happens to ppl in their 40s too! I don't seem to fit that age range!

Forgot to add, my tests for the GAD antibodies for SPS are negative the last time round.

Currently my symptoms are just very stiff legs, stiff hands, occassionally my elbows lock up when I'm carrying or holding on to things. I have hyper reflexes, clonus, positive babinski and plantar responses, mild tongue deviation to the right. My left foot turns inwards, and it always goes into spasm when my dr tries to test that leg's reflexes. It's been progressing for past two years.
Connie,I recently saw on TV in "Mistery diagnosis" about young woman,who had similar simptoms,Drs did not know what's wrong.Finaly,she found Dr Pascuzzi (neurologist) of IU (Indiana University),who was able to identify this disease.The woman said she was very happy with treatment.So,I think this Dr is experienced to diagnose (or rule out) this disease.Hope,this helps.
Marina
Marin826 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote