View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 04:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default By the way, maybe Mirapex is addictive

When I fail to take my dose of Mirapex, restless leg comes back with a vengeance. Once the sensations start, they are much worse than I ever remember them pre-Mirapex. The last time this happened, I actually had head to toe shivers or spasms on a rhythmic and persistent basis for about two hours. I felt like I wanted to freak out, and I could feel with dread each spasm coming on. All this took place while I was waiting for my make-up dose to take effect. I think it was akin to what you see in the movies when someone needs their heroin or cocaine, so I would guess that Mirapex might bring about a dependence and is, therefore, addictive. However, I have reduced the amount of Mirapex I take on a very, very gradual schedule. I would love to stop it, but I fear the effects of so doing. I don't know what causes restless leg, but I truly dread it.

I would think that addiction and therapeutiic effects differ thus: Therapeutic drugs make up for a deficit that is present in the body and thereby make us closer to good health. Addiction results when a drug makes up for a deficit but also programs our bodies to have a bigger deficit once the dose wears off. The next dose then has to be bigger to accommodate the bigger deficit.

I am not sure Sinemet does that. I am not sure Mirapex does that either, but my reaction to missing my dose certainly was significant.

Ann
AnnT2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote