View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
This does seem like an incredible amount of drugs, wow. Regardless of amount, I wanted to let you know that generic sinemet did NOTHING for us, we have to take name brand. There may be a post or two here about it, but for sure you should search the web on the differences between generic and name brand. ALL they have to have in common is the active ingredient, which means that everything else, fillers, stabilizers, other ingredients, can be different...which leads to different absorption rates and levels, etc. etc. and you quickly see what havoc that can wreak on you. I think it is totally deceptive that generics are allowed to be passed off as "identical" when they are NOT. If they were bioavailably identical, then great, we'd have the same absorption rates, etc. Most docs do not know this nor how varied generics can be from name brand. Do the research and see if this might not also be an issue for your mom.
I quite agree. I make it a practice of asking for a 30 day prescription of brand name drug for all new to me drugs. If it works, then I fill a 30 day supply of generic - if it has same results then I get 90 day supply. Often you can try out the brand name drugs by asking for free samples. When you do get generiic, note the manufacturer on the bottle - if it is not the same, you just might notice a difference. (good reason not to empty one pill bottle into the new bottle) . You can ask your doc to write prescription for brand name or specific manufacturer...but you might have to fight your insurance.

TG
tulip girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (11-16-2010)