View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 01:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Waking up with a bad h/a

Eve and that darn apple......but seriously, yes I do have a Chiari and had decompression surgery in 2004. I have been fairly headache free except for the monthly woes. I went from severe explosive daily headaches to 2-3 days of that dull roar behind my eye. But in the last year or so, I have noticed an increase in frequency and severity, so am looking for new neuro doc.
What I have learned about Chiari or any type of neuro issue, is that it makes us much more sensitive to all the usual migraine/headache triggers and throw in the XX gene combo and it is even more complicated. MSG might cause a crippling headache for me when I am on my period but may not even notice it in the middle of my cycle, for instance.

And yes, I was waking up with headaches, but I was also nearly passing out from the pressure and pain when I laughed really hard, coughed really hard, or even with straining to lift something heavy. Childbirth nearly killed me because I was undiagnosed and had epidurals each time.

I guess what I am trying to say is you don't have to suffer. I am going to see a nurse practioner who prescribes bioidentical hormones. Since my decompression surgery, my hormones have been askew. I now have hypothyroid, low adrenal function and irregular periods. If I forget to take my thyroid meds, I get a horrible headache and it is gone within an hour of my taking my missed dose. When you think it is 1 thing causing that headache, it could be something else entirely.

Believe in yourself, if it doesn't feel right, it probably is not right, and you need treatment!!
chiarichic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote