View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Just returned from follow up @ C.C.

Last Friday was my follow up appointment, post skin biopsy. I was with the doctor for 60 mins, face to face consultation. Unheard of!! He is convinced that the Alpha Lipoic Acid 600 mg has been my saving grace and he is ready to start weaning me off of the Neurontin. I was originally on 2400mg / day and after starting the AAL, I weaned myself down to 900 mg / day. He feels that I am ready to cut 1 dose each week and be totally off the Neurontin in 3 weeks. Now I am free to start back on it if I run into trouble, or can double the dose of the Alpha Lipoic Acid. He also recommended the following:
Celiac Antibody Testing, specifically Endomysial IgA Abs, Gliadin IgG Abs, Gliadin IgA Abs, Transglutaminase IgA; Total IgA level. If pain returns after weaning off the neurontin, start Doxepin 25 mg at bedtime with 800 mg of Motrin for break through pain. I am willing to try it.........I just hope it doesn't flare up the PN and send me into a tailspin.

My new problem is my PCP thinks I have some form of arthritis brewing. I have pain in the fingers, feet, knees with swollen joints and feet that feel like I am walking on wood when I first get up in the morning. Tried a short burst of steroids and that really helped. But now about a month later, hurts just as bad, if not worse. Can't get in to see a rheumy locally for about 6 months but can go back to the CC if need be.

I also work a 40+ hour week. Do all of the cooking, grocery shopping, bill paying, laundry and anything else that pertains to the house. I too feel like I am stressed out, yet get little help around the house. I have decided that I am getting at least 8 hrs of sleep each night and i am only cooking 4 nights a week. I don't care if they eat a cup of dirt on the other three nights, I am not cooking!! Maybe then I will get a little more help.........time will tell.

If you haven't tried the Alpha Lipoic Acid, maybe ask your doc about it. It doesn't work for everyone, but doesn't hurt to try. I just wonder why it took 14 years for someone to suggest it. But I am sure glad they did. Gotta go get ready for bed so I can get those 8 hrs of beauty rest!! Hugs to all
kpRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
malawigirl08 (11-21-2010), Sheltiemom (11-16-2010)