View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 01:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

http://images.wolfpk.com/parkinsonsr...nformation.pdf

PD & SURGERY:
1. See note above regarding stopping Eldepryl/selegiline two weeks prior to surgery.
2. There should be no reason to skip PD medications prior to surgery even if directions are NPO
(nothing by mouth) for 6-10 hours prior to surgery. Discuss with surgeon or anesthesiologist.
3. Restart PD medications (except eldepryl) as soon as possible after surgery even if NPO;
discuss with surgeon.
4. Be aware that PD patients have a lower threshold response to analgesics (sedation/pain
medications) and could experience hallucinations; however, this is not a contraindication
(reason to avoid) their administration.
Other medications which may worsen Parkinsonian symptoms and should not, in general, be
prescribed for a person with PD include:
NEUROLEPTICS GI / ANTI-NAUSEA RX
Haloperidol (HaldolŽ) metoclopramide (ReglanŽ)
Chlorpromazine (ThorazineŽ) prochlorperazine (CompazineŽ)
Thioridazine (MellarilŽ) trimethobenzamide (TiganŽ)
Molindone (MobanŽ)
Perphenazine (TrilafonŽ)
Perpenazine and amitriptyline (TriavilŽ)
Thiothixene (NavaneŽ)
Flufenzaine (ProlixinŽ)

This is an excellent document to have available in case you land in the hospital - in fact take extra copies as most MD/RN know so little about PD.

Peter, there should not be any obstacle for local anesthesia/block - like an epidural for childbirth. I had bone taken from my hip and grafted into my foot along with 2 plates and 8 screws all under a local with sedation. Did they ever put a PICC line in for long term home administered IV antibiotics?

Again, I suggest figuring out why your platlet count is high before further surgery. Keep us posted
Tulip Girl
tulip girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
krugen68 (11-17-2010), VICTORIALOU (11-17-2010)