View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, they don't exactly teach doctors manners in medical school. Or how to keep prejudice out the doctor-patient relationship. Not to mention that they discourage them to even think the words "I'm sorry."

Poetist, I'm sorry things did not go well. Try to imagine if someone came into the office where you work, said what you were doing and saying was wrong and then proceeded to attack one of your colleagues. No, I'm NOT defending this neuro because he should have been able to handle questions and criticism, especially when it sounds like it was deserved. But HOW we talk to doctors is so critical in how they treat us in kind. Again, I'm not saying that this was your fault!!!

I've only known a couple of neuros who can handle an open dialogue with patients. You should know that they are ALWAYS on the lookout for a potential lawsuit. That is why they gang together and defend each other at all costs. It's a ridiculous way to do business, not to mention it completely shuts down any useful conversation with a patient and only ends up adversely affecting their care.

You probably had so much pent up frustration that it couldn't be kept in anymore. I totally relate. I honestly wish I could've "gone off" on a couple of the neurologists I've seen in the past.

They don't teach us patients how to talk to doctors. I think we need to treat them like they are stuck in the logic and thinking level of an elementary school kid. When they say "Sleep with a tennis ball" we should repeat it back to them, like Ally said. Then ask them why sleeping with a tennis ball would help restrictive breathing caused by weak muscles. Then ask if she has tried that and if it's worked. Or what clinical studies she can point to so that we can read about the benefits of yellow rubber for MG. Or why a tennis ball instead of a baseball. Or say that you're so poor that your mattress already feels like a bunch of balls.

Yeah, I'm angry on your behalf. I've been through so much prejudice and outright nasty behavior from neurologists that I actually expect that. I've never encountered such horrid behavior from anyone until I met neuros. I'm at a loss to even explain it. There's no excuse for it.

I hope the other guy gives you the care you deserve.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote