View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused What do you do when there is nothing you can do?

I usually post in the MS forum but maybe someone here has more insight into this problem.

I have secondary progressive MS this brings with it a whole host of problems besides mobility issues, one of these is CHRONIC NEUROPATHIC PAIN.

My neurologist is USELESS when it comes to pain; we go round & round with the usual NEURONTIN, LYRICA etc. For whatever reason they do not work or I have side effects yet after running the gambit of these meds he seems to start all over again even when I remind him this hasn't worked in the past; gotten so I let him write the scripts so he feels important then I don't fill them.

I injured my neck pretty bad a couple years ago in a fall & saw a pain doctor. I called him, had a copy of my latest MRI sent to him & was given a couple non medication alternative treatments NOT COVERED BY MY INSURANCE.

On a given day 24/7 my pain remains about an 8 to 10 on the pain scale. I have a contracture in my left hand from the MS & for the last 4 days the pain has been around a 35 24/7. I don't call my neurologist because 1. he won't do anything & 2. his staff are a bunch of jerks. I called on a Monday afternoon to speak to neuro but he left for the day. I asked to leave a message they said NO I would have to call back the next morning THEN I could leave a message. i NEVER did call back & have not been to see him since. It is hard for me to change doctors because of my complex medical history & other medication needs which this doctor IS meeting.

I attended an MS Conference a couple weeks ago & practitioners from an outpatient rehab spoke. I was very impressed with the program & wanted (not sure I still do) to go. It is really far from my house & in order to go I would need to speak to my Medicaid worker about transportation. I called her about 3 times & at least 4 other people in Medicaid ALWAYS get a voicemail & no one calls me back.

I am just fed up & tired. Locally the treatment I need is not covered by my insurance then I find a place that will take my insurance for 100% payment but I can't go because I can't secure transportation.

Anyone else ever feel like they were beating their head against a brick wall?

I know the last few days I have wanted to put my head thru a brick wall.
tamiloo (01-02-2011)