View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Poetist, I'm sorry things did not go well. Try to imagine if someone came into the office where you work, said what you were doing and saying was wrong and then proceeded to attack one of your colleagues. No, I'm NOT defending this neuro because he should have been able to handle questions and criticism, especially when it sounds like it was deserved. But HOW we talk to doctors is so critical in how they treat us in kind. Again, I'm not saying that this was your fault!!!
I get what you're saying, but I didn't come out blasting his pretty doctor friend. He saw that she was one of the three neuros who saw me, and he kept trying to find out why I skipped over her.

I told him she was the first neurologist I saw, whom I saw only once.

That was when I began to chat about my medical history, and he began to examine me.

Afterward, he said he wanted to know what the pretty doctor said to me, as if he could not read the printed document.

I told him she told me to sleep on a tennis ball.

This answer was not enough for him, and he said he respected Dr. Pretty, as if she did not make that statement or something.

That was when I pretty much said what I pretty much thought of Dr. Pretty.

I gave facts like not reading my chart and ordering up stuff that was already performed, in which he did not have an answer for, because he was floored.

That was when he blurted out that Dr. Pretty was a good acquaintance of his, and I told him he can personally deliver to Dr. Pretty what I thought of her.

Quote:
I've only known a couple of neuros who can handle an open dialogue with patients. You should know that they are ALWAYS on the lookout for a potential lawsuit.
If they just do their job, they would not have to worry about law suits, because they will definitely happen if you give a patient a reason to sue. Defending another doctor, who doesn't even work with you, is not what I need them to do.

Quote:
They don't teach us patients how to talk to doctors. I think we need to treat them like they are stuck in the logic and thinking level of an elementary school kid. When they say "Sleep with a tennis ball" we should repeat it back to them, like Ally said. Then ask them why sleeping with a tennis ball would help restrictive breathing caused by weak muscles. Then ask if she has tried that and if it's worked. Or what clinical studies she can point to so that we can read about the benefits of yellow rubber for MG. Or why a tennis ball instead of a baseball. Or say that you're so poor that your mattress already feels like a bunch of balls.
That's a great idea, and I will definitely use that strategy. Too bad, I can't use it on Dr. Pretty, because she totally deserves it in a way. I mean she has a good bedside manner, but then she totally did and said stupid stuff to override any positives she possessed.
Poetist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote