View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy Constant headaches

Hello
My name is Donna Marie. I am from England so although all of your advice is great i have not actually heard of a lot of the pain relief and things that you are using.

I had a Brain Tumour when i was 9 years old in the back of my head! This luckily was a slow growing tumour so the doctors were able to do something before it was too late. Although it was left pretty late in actually realising thats what the problem was.
The brain tumour was located in the back of my neck and was the size of a lemon when first operated on. The tumour had squashed the cerebral fluid pipe and that is why i needed to have a shunt placed to take the place of.

Since then I have had 8 shunt replacements do to malfunction, blockage and infection. I am 25 years old now.
I have suffered from regular headaches ever since but lately i feel as though this has got worse and i am now getting them all the time. But it is not just that. i get a lot of sickness, dizzyness and feeling overly tired.
Annoying thing is that i know how it feels when there is something up with the shunt and i dont feel as though it is anywhere near as severe as that.

Also on my last shunt revision I had such bad pressure behind my eyes i found out i was having haemorrhages, And i developed slit venticle syndrome which now means the doctors cant tell by scans etc whether there is anything wrong. And they have to operate to find out.

I have posted this message just to see if there is anyone else out there who is having similar problems. Im scared obviously to go to the hospital to be checked as this usually ultimately ends up in operations which i dont want to risk unnecessarily.

If anyone can offer any advice or even just to tell me about your story i would really appreciate it. Ive never known anyone to have had a shunt and i know it feels awful when you feel like your the only one.

Thankyou
Donna
lil_donna_7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote