View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you for your replies... however, I'm not considering the surgery purely for relief from pain, more for my quality of life. I've been off work due to my problems since May of this year, with no hopes of returning to a career I truly love unless I can gain the use of my right hand an arm again. The numbness and severe weakness in my hand and arm prevents me from using the computer for long periods of time, and drawing (I am a graphic designer for the last 20 years). I'm also no longer able to kayak, scuba dive, or even go on challenging hikes or train at the gym, so I've lost my entire way of life due to the problems. If I don't have surgery, how do I regain the use of my hand and arm again? Then I risk loosing my career and my hobbies. I've already been in phsyiotherapy for months, I've tried everything from accupunture to massage, etc....

Would the sugery correct the pinched nerve that is not allowing me to use my hand? Would it allow me to get off the pain medication that I'm on just in order to be able to do simple tasks such as blow dry my hair and apply my makeup in the morning? I don't expect to be completely out of pain, but has anyone had this surgery and gained back their mobility and functionality that was lost due to all the bones spurs pushing on the nerves?

i'm scared to death of the surgery, but I also am scared of living the rest of my life without being able to enjoy doing everything I love to do.

Looking to get part of my life back, at 40 I really don't want to just sit at home on worker's compensation taking pain killers for the rest of my life. I've always led such an active lifestyle up until now.

It's so frustrating not having any options besides surgery or painkillers. I don't know what my neurosurgeon will say (my appt. has been moved to next Thurs.) but I'm leaning towards the surgery if it will allow me to regain my quality of life back.

Anyone been through this? Would like to hear of any success stories?

Thank you all...
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote