View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

To start, the best way to lower Cox-2 cytokines is by dietary control.

1) reduce the amount of Omega-6 fats you eat. Too many of these are then converted to Cox-2 cytokines.
Increase flax oil and fish oil in your diet. Many foods now have Omega-3s added to them. Eggland's Best Eggs, peanut butter, cereals, mayo, butter substitute spreads (all by Smart Balance),
some cheeses and yogurts, even some types frozen chicken nuggets (we buy ours at Costco).
Some salad dressings have canola oil in them now. You can take flax oil in capsule form. 3 of those a day. Increase the ratio of Omega-3s eaten to the Omega-6's you eat --which are very common everywhere-- will reduce basic inflammation in the body.

2) Start with fish oil (or Krill oil). If fish: 3 a day to start if they are the regular strength or 1 double or triple concentrated type.
One or two Krill oil, (I use MegaRed), but there are others.
The fish oils go better with food.

This can have dramatic improvements on inflammation.
If you eat alot of sugar, that has to go also. Insulin spikes favor production of Cox-2 cytokines. The Zone diet was made to control inflammation and insulin levels. It is easy to follow and not dramatic.

If you decide to go with this dietary approach, you will need a Bcomplex and some magnesium, as the oils are metabolized best using them.

This is a very general easy way to start.

If you see some improvements, often within a month or so, you can then add other things. I'd do the grapeseed extract next.

I had a huge response to this routine 10yrs ago, when I started the oils. My asthma cleared up, my GERD went away, and my arthritis improved. At 3 months I was no longer using my medications for these problems! And back then we didn't have these new "smart foods" to help with it all.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote