View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default how are you defining freezing?

i don't think i have ever experienced freezing unless your including the initial getting started shuffle. I just go with it and add a sprint to it and shuffle at a faster pace around the house.This can occur at any time, especially in a small area. It's a little running/shuffle start and settles into normal walking after a few shuffles usually.

When i get out into bigger pace and stride it usually goes away. it's just that getting started or when in a crowd. When we attended a taping of spin city, we noticed Michael would get a running start before he entered his scene.

when off i am like the hunchback of notre dame, or at least that's how i feel. I can't move safely when off but i've managed to load/unload the dishwasher and do a few things off but without the dystonia. This is with toes curled and leaning to one side, stiff as a board.

So i wonder about glutamate killing our cells and in pd there is an extended release which kills a neuron. if our acetycholinesterase if inhibited, then you have too much acetylcholine. Low dopamine and low epinephine (adrenaline gets depleted during times of high stres). Norepinephrine dying and missing in autopsy.

we lose dopamine, norepinephrine, and aren't producing enough GABA, the brakes that moderate and prevent too much glutamate.

thus we could be poisoning and killing our neurons by bad signaling. ending up with too much glutamate, possibly toomuch acetycholine - both toxic and paralyzing could be causing muscle weakness like paralysis.

are you talking about completely being unable to move due to a type of "paralysis'? I don't have the strength when off to untangle the bedding or roll over. It's not a freeze; it's weakness and not wanting to work too hard at it or i won't get back to sleep. Then i have to get up in the middle of the night and take sinemet and either a xanax or a nortriptyline, which help to balance it all, eventually i will either go back to sleep or just start the day at 3 a.m. During this time i can move slowly and shuffle walk to the bathroom. If i beat the dystonia and off attack, i can sometimes go to the bathroom and back to sleep without meds. Iremember michael said at some point, "I have to go fast and beat the pd." -referring to going to the bathroom during the night.

While i get stuck on the floor sometimes and need assistance to get back up, especially if I'm medicated but just too tired, i blame my back degeneration as much as the pd.

i also question that it's freezing at all with me. It's comparable to a serious stutter. They freeze i''ll research stuttering and transmitters.

so what we have is a multiple missignaling.This leads to lack of GABA which is in the glutamate family and the brakes (inhibitory). Then glutamate becomes a cell killer as can too much acetycholine.

freezing to me is that second when your feet just don't go with you but i can usually overcome it by going with it and just kind of half run, have shuffle, maintaining my balance; this works for me so i'll shuffle walk deliberately until balance and stride get me moving.

last thing - my right side doesn't turn or move with me frequently so i have to recover from near falls when i turn right in a somewhat small kitchen area. my right side doesn't move with me and i have to recover
quickly, but do any of these things i've described, common to many of us, constitute as freezing?

i hate to say this because i hated it when someone else did. but water exercise is as good as everyone irritatingly says it is. I wasted many years not exercising . It's the only way to generate energy and strenthen all of your body muscles so you can untangle from the bedding.

am i talking thesame thing as you are?i'm on a med for the very thing you describe tho not as severe it was unbearable. i couldn't walk and it is a torturous feeling - a combination of weakness and restless leg .

from the source below:

Glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter which acts to facilitate electrical signaling between nerve cells. When glutamate levels rise too much, however, they essentially jam a nerve cell in the open position, allowing calcium to flow freely into the cell. The calcium damages the structure and DNA of the cell, and creates a cascading reaction as cells die and release glutamate which floods neighboring cells, causing the damage to spread.

Several receptors on nerve cells are sensitized to glutamate, including the AMPA and NDMA receptors. Glutamate's ability to lock on to several receptors on nerve cells can work against it in cases of excitotoxicity because the compound can act quickly when it is present in the nervous system in high concentrations. The cascade of reactions linked with excitotoxicity can occur in both the brain and spinal cord and may lead to lasting damage if it cannot be identified and arrested

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-excitotoxicity.htm

http://www.alscenter.org/living_with...otoxicity.html

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 11-19-2010 at 06:18 PM.
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (11-20-2010), just_me_77 (11-20-2010), lou_lou (11-22-2010), RLSmi (11-19-2010)