View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, I'm Ky and I was diagnosed with CRPS in December of 2008. I was involved in a car accident in December of 2007 in which I injured my left knee. My first doctor, an orthopedic, told me it was just a bone contusion and sent me to physical therapy and told me in March of 2008, that I should just wear volleyball pads if it still bothered me and that I was fine. Not believing him since I was still having pain and the bruise was still there but slightly smaller, I went to yet another orthopedic doctor, who finally did an MRI and then scoped my knee in May 08 to repair some damage. The bruise finally faded 2 weeks after surgery. He sent me on my way after surgery telling me if I still had problems to call.

In July of 2008, at my niece's birthday party, a friend decided it would be fun to pour water over me and instantly I noticed I was swelling up, turning colours and the pain. My sister took pictures and I got an appointment with the doctor the following week, in one look at the pictures he told me I probably have RSD and I need to go to pain management. Since it was a Work Comp injury, they through a fit and stopped paying everything. Thankfully my car insurance kicked in and I managed to get in in December of 2008 where I officially got my diagnosis of RSD. That doctor (whom I don't recommend in North Dakota) put me on Gabapentin and told me if I take this for a year I'll be cured.....eventually I switched doctors because I felt he was feeding me full of crap and now I'm with a doctor I'm relatively okay with at this moment. Just a few months ago, though, we noticed my foot and the rest of my lower leg starting to swell and turn colours along with my knee, we believe it's spread downwards. I've been slowly losing my hair on my leg. The initial injury site is pretty much completely bald. My memory stinks for being 28.

I'm currently on Gabapentin (2700 mg a day), Cymbalta (40mg), Tramadol, Naproxen, and Baclofen for my pain control. They recommended the Spinal Cord Stimulator for me months ago and I was going to do the trial but then found information after I had to postpone due to being sick that it really isn't this great invention that my doctor made it out to be. I still have lots of bad days where I can't walk without screaming but I'm kind of at a loss on what to do next. I'm now afraid to try the stimulator after what I've read and my doctor tells me narcotics/opiods don't help RSD/CRPS pain and keeps telling me I should try the stimulator. She says I can't work and I've filed for disability. However, I've been denied twice already and I'm now waiting for a hearing date. I'm hopeful I'll get it this time around but we'll see...I've already lost my house and my car from having to wait and it's destroyed friendships and a relationship but things will get better

Sorry it's so long and hoping everyone has low pain day
KyMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SnowWhyte (12-14-2010)