View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi KyMarie,
Yes, I have heard this from a few doctors that don't really totally understand RSD and the horrible burning nerve pain we have to live with each day. It is very easy for doctors to say "Oh well they don't work" but in fact some work to lessen the pain so it is a bit more bearable to tolerate each day. I know in younger children with RSD they usually try to avoid the opiods and push the physical therapy alot and I can't even imagine a child with the pain I have...my heart breaks for them. I have mostly heard this statment you talk about from doctors that do not want to be bothered with having a patient on longterm opiods. There are sooo many regulations for opiods that the patients that need it like us have a hard time getting it or else they think we are drug addicts (I've been treated like this in the past by one or two doctors whom I reported to their supervisors as being cruel).

Personally, I had my RSD pain come back 1,000 times worse from problems with Ketamine treatments in Sept and had no pain meds at all and I laid in a fetal position crying in agony for days and felt like dying because the burning nerve pain was so severe that I could not move from the bed. Once I began to take a lighter dose of opiods than I used before I felt like I got my life somewhat back and I continue to struggle with pain each day. I know people with RSD are strong because you can't be a wimp and have RSD so if we can get something that will lessen our pain (even 10%) then it is worth it to me not to suffer. It is funny (not really but) we can put people on the moon and in space station, etc... but we can't cure cancer, RSD, or the common cold???? Go figure! One thing I learned in almost 6 years of fighting this disease is that you must be your own advocate and speak up for what you feel is right for you because no one else will do it for you. BEst of luck to you and hang in there.
kathy d
kathy d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cindi1965 (12-15-2010), fmichael (11-20-2010), gabbycakes (11-21-2010), gramE (11-20-2010), SandyRI (02-20-2011), SnowWhyte (12-15-2010)