View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillizziem View Post
I went to the dentist today and was told not only do I need a root canal, I also need to have one tooth pulled (the root canal would be too difficult, and it would only save the tooth for a few years). I have had RSD in my right foot for two years now.

I went to the dentist for a simple filling replacement about six months ago. It was pure agony. My face swole up, and my pain skyrocketed for about two weeks. I do not think it is safe to have either the root canal or extraction, but I have to don something at this point. I am terrified that the RSD will spread to my face.

On top of that, I have called about a hundred dentist (endodontist, oral surgeons) and NONE of them will take me as a patient. I need to do something. Please help.
Hi Lilli, I don't blame you for being cautious and scared. I've had RSD 15 years and had a root canal, while not knowing I had RSD. I wasn't diagnosed for 4 years. My regular dentist did not have knowledge of RSD, but did research. He gives me antibiotics the day of any visit or even cleaning. I also take nitrous oxide (gas mask) during each procedure. I take my regular meds also. Being in a relaxed state I personally believe is very important as a preventive measure. I do visualization and meditation while in a stressful situation like the dentist office.
While the oral surgeon was doing the root canal, my heart started speeding out of control, I pointed to my heart and he stopped and I found out he gave me an injection of a drug that prolongs deadening drug. I had an allergic reaction to the injection ( I forget the name right now) that can cause death if the heart runs out of control. He had to give me a counter measure drug. I did get trigeminal nerve disorder on left side of face after the root canal on left side, but don't know if there is a connection. I suspect it does and TN is extremely painful like RSD. Feels like an ice pick stuck in temple and affects one side of face.
Hope you find someone to help you. One of your new friends, loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote