Thread: Do NSAIDS work
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I use Aleve Liquigels occasionally for my arthritis pain.

Aleve in the states is naproxen sodium 200mg. Naproxen has been shown to be the least dangerous NSAID for the heart attack risks. I found the liquigel formulation to be very fast acting and allows me to keep my dose low. I can get away with one a day most times.(this compared to 800mg ibuprofen which I used before)

The liquigel formulation seems to be more efficient in absorption for some reason. It is a huge improvement I think, over tablets.

The NSAIDs create the heart problems by blocking Cox-2 cytokines. The more potent they are doing this the bigger the tradeoff in safety.
One of the Cox-2 cytokines is prostacyclin, made in the kidney, and this one dilates blood vessels. So suppressing it too much can lead to heart attacks. The drug companies KNOW this (KNEW this) all along because anyone with chemical knowledge of cytokine chemistry...knows this. I knew this 10 yrs ago, and I think it is reprehensible for Big Pharma to keep it a secret like they did with Vioxx and Bextra.

You can more naturally reduce inflammation by balancing your Omega-3 and 6 intakes, and taking some fish oil.

I try to keep my NSAIDs very low also for another reason. High long term use, suppresses Cox-2 in the gut, allowing for more leaky gut issues since Cox-2 cytokines block absorption of unwanted peptides and other large molecules in the intestine.
The Cox-2 cytokines in the joints are there to stimulate healing and if blocked too much and too long lead to further deterioration. Some papers say 6wks should be the cut off for continuous high dose NSAIDs.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote