View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 02:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Had same problem

Hi just happened to see this post I am usually in the MS forum. In addition to MS I have insulin dependent diabetes (& a few other things).

Just over 4 years ago I got a puppy; part Bichon Frise & Part Poodle. She was initially being trained for emotional support when then my diabetes got worse & I had to go on insulin. Because of the cognitive problems from the MS I do not always test as I should. Esperanza started training as a Diabetic Alert Dog. She has been specifially trained in these 2 areas but I have taught her mobility tasks as well. Despite her small size (12 lbs) if I am using my rollator walker in a store she guides me to the perimeters of the aisles where I am close to shelves to hold on to if I lose my balance; she prevents me from going off curbs when I do not realize there is no ramp & once I took a bad fall in the parking lot of my condo & Esperanza was able to bark & cause enough comotion to alert help. She has been in the finest restaurants, theaters, etc. (I could not get on stage to personally great Paul of Peter, Paul & Mary but Espy at my command went up to him & gave him lots of kisses - he was thrilled).

Then I moved to East Meadow here on Long Island & like you they HAD signs stating NO DOGS ALLOWED EXCEPT GUIDE DOGS FOR THE BLIND. I was REFUSED SERVICE because I had Esperanza despite her wearing a vest & my having ID attached to my walker. I took the matter all the way to Washington where I learned that ALL POST OFFICES were instructed YEARS AGO to REMOVE THOSE SIGNS & REPLACE THEM WITH NEW SIGNAGE ALLOWING SERVICE DOGS AS WELL AS GUIDE DOGS. MANY like yours, the one in East Meadow & several more on Long Island FAILED TO COMPLY. I began a campaign to make them comply & have had many of the signs corrected.

The BEST (WORST) ONE was when I went to Social Services to get a new benefit card & was REFUSED ADMISSION because of Esperanza. I DID NOT argue with the police who man this Social Service office I just kept repeating the law. They shouted, screamed got within inches of my face & when I got a chance to walk away from them & get online an officer grabbed my walker & spun me around. Long story short when it was all over (well it is still not completely over) I was PHYSICALLY MANHANDLED by 2 officers & REFUSED ADMISSION by the police supervisor. He FINALLY let me in when I said I was planning on taking crimminal & civil action against the other 2 officers & if continued to prevent me from entering I could include him. He DID let me conduct my business but not before telling me that he DID NOT believe what I stated about the law was true but he was going to let me in while he checked it out. When I sent my complaint into the DA I INCLUDED a copy of the Federal Service Dog Laws PROVING I WAS RIGHT - still pending.

Largely from these 2 instances & from other minor ones as well as witnessing how many disabled people are unaware of their rights or afraid to stand up for them I am creating a non profit - EsperanzaEnterprises. This organization will promote Service Dog & Disability awareness as well as act as a "hub" for information for people with disabilities & there caregivers.

YOU NEED TO FIGHT THIS TO THE HIGHEST LEVEL NOT JUST FOR YOURSELF BUT FOR ALL THE DISABLED PEOPLE WITH SERVICE DOGS THAT COME AFTER YOU.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"

Good luck to you. Stay strong & REMEMBER even one small voice can move a might mountain.