View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 02:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

As long as there are desperate folks who are willing to take the RISK for a "chance of getting the real deal", who are talked into participation to help others, who don't know enough about the risks they are taking (which are downplayed), there will be testing with placebo and sham surgeries. WE ARE NOT DISPOSABLE and if we all refused to agree to such study design, maybe we would be empowered to have a voice. Certainly there would be double the study participants and drive the cost of research down.

I don't know the work of Marcia Angell - but will look it up, nor have I read the article on sham surgery. Thank you. I did get the NEJOM weekly.

My viewpoints on placebo and sham surgery comes, not from opinions of others but from questioning, forming my own opinions and being unafraid to speak up. (I am not only cheeky but very opinionated - LOL) I say this as encouragement to all those of you who visit, read and disappear without so much as writing a word. Don't be intimidated. I'd like to hear of your experinces with research studies. Maybe you can make a difference.

TG
tulip girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote