View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Okay - that was no fun!

Just got out of a 2 week ICU stay where I spent 7 days on a vent - it started out as a 8 mm kidney stone which the ER doc sent me home to pass (my urologist later told me that I will never pass a stone of that size) However, after 3 days at home dealing with the pain, nausea, etc, I ended up in the hospital to have surgery to place a stent around the stone so my totally infected kidney could start to drain the infection.

Unfortunately, all this brought on a major mg crisis. I was in ICU on a bi-pap and the next thing I knew, I woke up with a vent.

While on the vent, I accidently became a guinea pig for all of you who take Cellcept. The nurse accidently gave me 20 doses of liquid Cellcept one evening instead of one and it wasn't caught until the next morning. My neuro and my daughter (who is a nurse) researched everything they could about possible side affects but there really isn't much data oh a Cellcept overdose since it is usually taken in tablet form. As a joke (after the major part of the scare was over), my daughter told me the monkies didn't die that they some overdose testing on, so I guess that was good news,

The major side affect (and i mean major) was diarrhea for about 36 hours, As near as anyone can figure, the OD was like giving me a dose of chemo and I will feel more tired and worn out over the next few weeks.

One good thing is that my daughter and I have been asked to be on the Patient Advisory Board that is being formed to help educate hospital staffers on the more rare diagnosis and my daughter will be holding training classes on mg specifically from a patient and family point of view so hopefully the next time I need the er, I won't get patted on the head and basically told if breathe slower and deeper, I can stop my "panic" attack.

The final irony of all this is that I had retired on disability Friday and ended up in the hospital on Monday. Some start to retirement!

Fortunately, I have great family support both from my brothers and sisters and my own children. It has made things a bit easier and I'm looking forward to spending more time with everyone now that my life will not be totally focused on work.

The best news is that I'm home and feeling a little better each day! You'all have a great holiday from the south!!!
Juanitad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote