View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default full circle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Keeping in mind that sunlight on the skin, absent any sunscreen of course, will use cholesterol in the body to make D3....interesting connection is that I have read many places PWP have low cholesterol. Can they not make enough D3 of their own, because they don't have enough cholesterol to make it, assuming they get out in the sun enough? I have not read of many parkies with high cholesterol, but am willing to be educated. Most statistics, if you can call them that, are that PWP ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
ve low D3 as well as low cholesterol.

If you also take D3 supplements you may not need as much sun, but I would think the D3 we make naturally would be superior to canned D3, assuming the body can make it....a good excuse to eat a fatty steak and fries.
Back to the high fat ketogenic diet being neuroprotective...a full circle. This is what the researchers and nutritionists are saying about our brains; it needs lipids to produce cholesterol as the basis of neurogenesis. It is the exact opposite of what has become common belief. that any sort of fat whether meat or dairy, is bad for us because it contributes to cholesterol. Not to mention all the gloomy potential outcomes of spending time in the sun lest we get cancer. In essence, modern medicine has us starving our brains for the sake of preventing a heart attack or skin cancer? How many of us have gone on special diets or worse, drugs, to lower our cholesterol? We have been creating quite a cozy little guest quarters for PD, haven't we?

What really gets me is that there has no push to end the cholesterol hype. Mary Enig was the first to say that this is a cholesterol myth. Dietary fat from animals is not our enemy, trans fats are. Margarine is making us sick, not butter. Still, no one comes forward to put an end to the misinformation.

As for cholesterol, mine was off the charts high when I first presented with a tremor. At the time, I was living in Florida, so I had no lack of Vitamin D. Five years later, I am in Michigan and that Essential Tremor looks a lot more Parkinsonian...btw my cholesterol mysteriously reversed itself. I did nothing to treat it and the high number went away as PD made itself known.

Back to Vitamin D. Rick noted his meds seemed much better with the intake of a D3 supplement. I have slowly made my way up to 8000 IUs daily and today I noted something weird after my lunch time levodopa dosage. It was as if I had taken too much medication. I got this toxic feeling and had numb hands, felt excessively sleepy, and buzzed all at the same time- the only time I feel this way is if I have dosed too close together. It later dawned on me that I took that D3 very close to my levodopa dose...I don't think my reaction was a coincidence. I am going to try this again tomorrow but take half a dose of dopa and see what transpires. As Rick said, the D3 does cross the BBB and does it quickly.

Oh, since increasing the D3, I have actually gotten sleepy and slept like a normal person for the first time in ages, and my mood and energy level is way higher. I am thinking that we can use the Vita D guide that Mrs. D linked for us and how we feel as a way to optimize our levels so that we do not over do it. My doctor left the D3 dosage to me to figure out

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (11-22-2010), jeanb (11-22-2010), moondaughter (11-22-2010), Ronhutton (11-28-2010), VICTORIALOU (11-27-2010)