View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to NeuroTalk:

I will just say this... you need to come to our PN forum, and read up on the supplements used today to help with diabetic PN.

Lyrica is basically a more potent form of gabapentin, and does nothing for diabetic PN but lessen some symptoms of pain for some people.

The advantage of a study you describe is that you get that mega expensive Lyrica for free.

The downside is that you CANNOT DO anything else during the study to interfere with results. They probably have strict parameters in the forms you sign to enter the study.

Why this is bad is that wasted time you could be improving your nerve status (healing) will be lost to you.

Now diagnosis of PN is rather sketchy, for everyone. Your mention of family members with PN, makes me wonder if you have been tested for hereditary types of neuropathy. This follows the genes and is familial. There is no treatment known yet with supplements to help this form. But there are studies using a form of thiamine called befotiamine, an amino acid called acetyl carnitine, and an antioxidant alpha lipoic acid (or the newer form r-lipoic acid).

You don't have much time now before that study starts, so I don't know if you can take in this information or not usefully.

Lyrica does not work for everyone, and some find the side effects unbearable. But some members at our PN forum use it.
The most common negative side effects are peripheral edema and mental confusion (and depression).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote