Old 11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
this is a reminder Melody... when you explain stuff to people:

The pancreas eventually burns out. The oral drugs only work by stimulating more insulin from the pancreas. The Metformin does something extra by reducing gluconeogenesis in the liver. But amaryl, and others like glucotrol, stimulate more insulin output.

When the pancreas reaches a certain point, it stops making insulin (this is called burnout by some) and then you HAVE to use externally supplied insulin from then on. The pancreas can be damaged by autoimmune disease or other things too.

When the oral meds fail there really is no other choice.

Mrs. D.

A quick question. When you say the pancreas eventually burns out, are you indicating that this happens to EVERYBODY?, or just people with type 2 diabetes?

And if you mean people with Type 2, does this means that EVENTUALLY, everyone (as we get older and older and older), we ALL will be put on humalog? Or, as in my case, I take Lantus.

I know many people in their 80's who were diagnosed with Type 2, who never took an oral med, their sugar reading doesn't go above 170 and yet, they have neuropathy and are going for light therapy.

I met an older gentleman once (with his wife), at a bus stop, and as I often do, I struck up a conversation because there was a hour wait for the bus, it was a beautiful day, and why not talk to people??

He said he was a diabetic since the age of 30, he was now 75, he is not on insulin, he takes oral meds AND HE HAS NEVER HAD ANY KIND OF COMPLICATIONS.

How odd, right?

And what else can a person do, if one is type 2, eats correctly, takes their Lantus and doesn't WANT TO HAVE THEIR PANCREAS BURN OUT??

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote