View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
What happens when people get old....is that if they have insulin resistance , the body tells the pancreas to put out more and more insulin (even when no drugs are given), and eventually the Islet cells can't do this anymore and die. So yes, even without drugs the cells die or burn out.

Doctors can monitor this by taking fasting INSULIN levels, to show how much is going up this way. The theory is that insulin somehow fails at the cell membrane to help glucose enter the target cells of the body that need it, signals are sent and a hormone stimulates the pancreas to make more and more insulin and eventually the pancreas burns out.

Type II diabetes starts this way. It is just that many doctors don't do the fasting INSULIN level... some don't even know how to interpret it. Those who become diabetic earlier as type II just have a faster decline than older people. I think genetics drives most of this.

In fact some doctors today don't like the oral meds much except for metformin (which has other actions that are desirable too) because they CAUSE a form of insulin resistance and therefore weight gain.(which becomes a vicious cycle)

Ah, so a person who does not have diabetes, insulin resistance, etc, like my mother, HER WHOLE FAMILY, never had any kind of diabetic related stuff going on at all, but on my father's side, we had my grandmother (age 80) and my father (age 80), and neither was obese. So Cornell told me "you have a genetic component going on"

So it comes, once again, down to genetics (which we can't fight I gather).

And can I extrapolate that because I take 8 units of Lantus before I go to bed, and I don't any oral meds, that I am giving my pancreas some sort of break, so it doesn't have to work so hard?

Am I heading in the right direction here?

Thanks much if this can be cleared up.

And believe me, between my sprouting fenugreek and my other sprouts, and eating the way I'm eating, I am trying to have my pancreas not work so hard.

I shall continue to fight the good fight!!!
lol.

Melody
P.S. There are several so called experts who say that if one goes completely raw, one can reverse diabetes. It's EXTREMELY difficult to go completely raw, like those raw vegans.

I like my piece of chicken, my little piece of bison, and I actually feel better after consuming SOME animal products.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote