View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

So because I don't eat any large meals, any refined carbs or sugars, and as a snack, I might have a sprout salad with some cherry tomatoes and some black olives with the Carotina oil, well, that won't spike, right.

Yesterday my body really cooperated. I took my blood sugar at 5 p.m. and it was 116.

What confuses me is the eating at night. I never had to do this BEFORE I did my experiement. I would eat my little meals and I was down to the 5 units of Lantus and went off and MY SUGAR WENT UP, but I was able to lose the rest of my weight because I wasn't on any diabetic med at all.

But I ate MORE to keep the levels stable, and the weight dropped. How dumb is this. I ate more, I stopped the insulin, I lost weight but the a1c went up to 7.8.

So I didn't want to take any more chances so I'm back on 8 units before I go to bed.

What is confusing to me is what happened after the PN Meeting Thursday night. We all went to dinner before (5 p.m.). I had what I always have, a seaweed salad and a California Roll.

After the meeting, Alan and I came home, we got home by 9 and I was hungry. So I had a piece of chicken, and some veggies. No big meal, but a meal nontheless.

Took my shot at 11 p.m. Next morning it was 130. To me, that is just fine, because when I was off Lantus it was 180 upon getting up in the a.m.

So is the fact that I ate a protein plus the veggies at 9 p.m. and then took the shot, well is that the reason that my sugar reading was 130 the next a.m.

Because I really don't like to eat that late. I eat dinner at 6 p.m. at night, I have my coffee and a little piece of sugar free cake at about 8 and that's it. Well, it was 150 and this morning it was 180.

So what is the best thing for me to do before bedtime. Since I take the shot at 11 p.m. (should I take it at 10 or some different time), and should I eat something with the shot? Like a piece of protein? Or half an apple? Everyone is different, this I know, but I want to tweak this and I'll follow any suggestion you make.

Up until I went off of Lantus I was down to 111 in the a.m. and sometimes 127 at about 5 pm. That's why I did the experiment. I knew it might not pan out, but I had to try.

I obviously need to be on a bit of Lantus and I have no problem with that, I just want to know what I could do to not have this dawn phenomenon going on.

Maybe there is nothing I can do. Two years ago when Cornell ended, I always had Dawn Phenomenon going on but my a1c was 6.2.

If I could go down to that, I'll be happy. I 'm not reaching for 5 because I read where one shouldn't drop their a1c too low.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote